Position: County Managing Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Whitman County
Type: Full-Time, Flexible Hours
Benefits: Medical, Dental, 401k
Salary: $45,000-$50,000 Depending on Qualifications
You will have the opportunity to take the lead in encouraging, promoting and coordinating the economic development efforts and strategies of Whitman County. As such, constant attention to the ADO Contract deliverables, interfacing with the businesses within the County, the promotion of State, regional, and SEWEDA programs and services on behalf of, and to, the business community, is the primary function of this position. You will have the ability to bring business development and sustainability to all-areas within Southeast Washington in a COVID- and post COVID-19 business environment, grow small- and middle-market companies and cultivate rural economic stability.
The position requires excellent human relations skills; extensive knowledge and commitment to issues pertaining to rural economic development and familiarity with public and private sector programs that serve business, industry, and government in Washington. A track record suggestive of energetic and innovative experience in effectively interacting with community and industry leaders, as well as elected and appointed public officials is also required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates and implements strategies for retention and expansion of our existing businesses, attracting new businesses along with furthering development of infrastructure, tourism and leadership.
- Encourage implementation of individual strategies for each of the cities and the County as a whole while providing the coordination to insure that there is free flow of information and mutual support among the entities.
- Initiates and completes the work assigned under the Washington Department of Commerce Associated Development Organization contract for the county.
- Gather data to prepare statistical, informational, and promotional reports and contribute to the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy Report.
- Informs the SEWEDA Executive Director and Board of Directors through written reports on the progress of the Manager’s program activities and initiatives as assigned.
- Recommends and provides input on existing and proposed programs to the Executive Director, especially targeting direct business services.
- Directly responsible to reply to the State Department of Commerce regarding the business leads generated by the State, in collaboration with the appropriate community partners.
- Attends key meetings/events within the county as needed to maintain knowledge and to network with officials regarding economic development issues.
- Develops personal skill sets in conformity with the position’s needs.
- Provides educational outreach for building capacity for retaining and expanding businesses within the County.
- Undertakes other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The ideal candidate would possess the following:
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills will be critical as you meet with diverse communities of stakeholders, the public, internal staff and colleagues from across the state.
- A clear understanding of the critical role of small business and their operations. Leadership, business management, marketing skills.
- Ability to prioritize.
- Detailed and organized especially in budgeting and conducting research.
- Effectiveness with voluntary boards.
- Experience with community and economic development.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Preferred Education and Experience
A minimum of four years’ experience in a position involving economic development; Bachelor’s degree in business management, public or business administration, or related field; or at least five years of high-level, high-quality experience in community service /community development field. Must possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and an acceptable driving record. A criminal background check will be conducted for the applicant selected.
Physical and Working Environment
Light physical demands to include bending, twisting, turning, and light lifting. Travel is required.
Application Closing Date
Open until filled.
"*" indicates required fields